Friday, August 17, 2007

HARRY POTTER AND THE DEATHLY HOLLOWS by J. K. Rowling


Well, I was able to finish it within a month. In my own defense, though, I do have many other things going on in my life right now and Harry Potter just wasn't at the top of my list of priorities.

That being said....what did I think of this particular book?



  • Did I think this particular book was outstanding? No...

  • Did I think this particular book is the best J.K. Rowling has written? No...

  • Did I thoroughly enjoy this particular book? No...

But, the thing is, it isn't about this particular book. I firmly believe it is impossible to take apart the Harry Potter series and look at it book by book, especially now that the series has been completed.

That being said...what did I think of the Harry Potter series?
Did I think it was an outstanding series? Yes!
Did I think it was the best J.K. Rowling has written? Yes (but then, I have no other Rowling material with which to compare it)
Did I thoroughly enjoy this series? Yes!

This book does answer many questions--some of which weren't ever actually asked. It does drag from time to time and the "side plot" of the Deathly Hallows isn't even truly necessary. While I think some of the other books did need to weigh 10 pounds, this one had more than it's share of fluff.

But, if you've read the other book, you have to read this one. It's like seeing "The Return of the Jedi" after seeing "Star Wars" and "The Empire Strikes Back" (I'm ignoring the existence of the newer prequels in that series). You just have to do it.

And it is an excellent series! I don't think anyone can argue that. And, rest assured, the series ending is satisfactory (that is, the way the story ends is quite good--and it ends in the second to last chapter. The very last chapter was incredibly stupid and had nothing to do with the story. I suggest just skipping it.) And I do think this is something everyone should read--if for no other reason than they will need to know all the Potter-isms to be able to carry a conversation. I was recently complaining about airline passenger conditions when I said, "Well, I guess we have to live with it until muggles learn to disapparate." A co-worker, who is smug and annoying and refuses to read or see Harry Potter, had no clue what I was speaking about. It was classic!

The sad thing is the vast majority of readers were unable to experience these books fully. Honestly, I believe the best way to read these is to start with Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or "Philosopher's Stone," depending on what country you live in) when you are 11 years old and then read one book a year until you finish with this particular book when you are 17. Unfortunately, most of us will never have the chance to experience that.

Now, however, I'm off to another book. I began Khaled Hosseini's A Thousand Splendid Suns last night and, thanks to the fact that my Studmuffin was finally able to start Harry Potter, I have some time to read again!

No comments: