Thursday, August 30, 2007

Black Sheep Literary Fan

I love to read, but I've realized that I just don't fit in with serious "readers." This is not to say that I read crap by Ms. Nicholas Sparks or Danielle Steele--I read good, serious stuff. The stuff that Oprah ends up picking (I extolled the wonders of Middlesex far before she ever found it!). But there is one belief that I hold that I fear will always keep me from being considered a true reader of taste and I realize that this belief will never change.

Sadly, for my own sake, I think Jane Austen is crap.

It's true...not only do I hate her novels (Sense and Sensibility is passable, but don't even get me started on the oh-so-wonderful Pride and Prejudice) but I go one step farther. I commit the sin that all true readers will despise me for.

I think the movies of her books are better than her actual books. Yes, Emma Thompson was far too old to be in Sense and Sensibility and I still have no clue what Hugh Grant was doing there, but I would much rather watch that movie (and fall just a little bit more in love with Greg Wise and Alan Rickman--I hate you Kate Winslet!) than read the book. Heck, I preferred Clueless to Emma. Yet even more pathetic, I hated the book Bridget Jones Diary but enjoyed the movie (a MUCH better role for Hugh Grant!).

Truly, I think she was a fraud....a faker....an affront to femininity!

You see, the truth is that I'm a Bronte girl. I'd name one of my yet-to-be-born daughters Bronte if I thought my Studmuffin would let me get away with it. Passionate (which may also mean slightly mentally unstable) women roaming the wilds and falling in love with inappropriate men...yes, that's more my style. And, while I think Mr. Darcy is a closeted homosexual, Heathcliff is just plain hot Hot HOT!

So, all you Austen fans...I hope you have fun at your silly little balls where you go to manipulate boys and convince yourself that you're oh so much more mature than anyone else. I'm off to roam the moors with some real men!

No comments: